Helen has Dissociative Identity Disorder, a rare condition more commonly known as Multiple Personality Disorder. This causes her to have seven alter egos or alter personalities’
- Alex, A five year old boy who loves shooting toy guns.
- William, A six year old boy who loves the Mr. Men.
- Adam, A lovable ten year old boy who is not allowed to play outside.
- Brenda, An outspoken, feisty 13 year old girl
- Karl, A sixteen year old boy with an attitude and a temper.
Helen will switch from her self personality to one of the alter personalities at a moment’s notice and have no recollection of the time spent in the other personality. Under the personalities of Karl and Brenda, Helen would drink and take dugs. She became an alcoholic and overdosed over 100 times. She has since recovered from the alcoholism and the overdoses, were clearly not fatal.
Ruth was determined to discover what may have caused these personalities to form and was horrified when Helen confided in her that she had been extensively abused as a child and had created the first personalities to distance herself from the horrors. Karl and Brenda provide escape by causing physical pain by means of self-harm to block the emotional trauma, while the younger personalities allow escape to vario ages of her childhood.