For thousands of years we have wrestled with the great questions of existence. Who are we? What is the world made of? How did we get here? The quest to answer these is the story of science.
Each week, medical journalist Michael Mosley traces the often unpredictable path we have taken. From recreating a famous alchemist’s experiment, to following in Galileo’s footsteps, and putting himself in the hands of a hypnotist, Michael unpicks how science has changed the way we see ourselves, and the way we see our world.
It is a tale of courage and of fear, of hope and disaster, of persistence and success. It interweaves great forces of history – revolutions, voyages of discovery and artistic movements – with practical, ingenious inventions and the dogged determination of experimenters and scientists.
This is the story of how history made science and how science made history, and how the ideas which emerged made the modern world.
1. What Is Out There? How we came to understand our planet was not at the center of everything in the cosmos.
2. What Is The World Made Of? How atomic theories and concepts of quantum physics underpin modern technology.
3. How Did We Get Here? Michael Mosley tells how scientists came to explain the diversity of life on earth.
4. Can We Have Unlimited Power? The story of how power has been harnessed from wind, steam and from inside the atom.
5. What is the Secret of Life? Michael Moseley tells the story of how the secret of life has been unraveled through the prism of the most complex organism known – the human body.
6. Who Are We? The twin sciences of brain anatomy and psychology have offered different visions of who we are. Now these sciences are coming together and in the process have revealed some surprising and uncomfortable truths about what really shapes our thoughts, feelings and desires.
5 Comments / User Reviews
Best liked part 5 and 6
I wish this link wasn’t broken.
I am fairly certain that what.I just read from you (apart from the atrocious grammar) is perhaps the most disjointed and infantile excuse for an explanation why neither s ience or religion is true. Piltdown man was a scam brought by one man for profit that scientists ultimately DISPROVED. Not because the powers that be wanted us to believe we had a missing link, but because science wanted the truth. Which by the way we now have. As far as religion and science going hand in hand well, only when society allows the religious fervor of those in power to taint the truth. We are at that point in time again where it is terribly obvious that the powerful religious leaders are charlatans peddling snake oil and those of limited intellect are terrified of letting go. You are babes with your thumbs in your mouths unwilling to share your toys. Please try to educate yourself before posting middle headed bullshit.
Science is reinforced by those who control the distribution of information. The people who sit incharge of what we are charged can be just as fraudulant and dispecable as those who sought the reinforce religious dogma. In fact science and religion hold hands and walk down the path together. They both insist on explaining things in terrestrial terms.Science says humans appeared around 200,000 years ago. they got caught falsifying a supposed missing linkl, peltdown man yet they have hidden the fact that while we have 46 chromosomal pairrs, all other primates have 48. That’s a huge difference. Most of us know dog breeds came from mans manipulation of some primitive canines. Yet to think some one did that to create us creates intense emotional ferver. oh and planets dont travel in elipses they follow the sun through the galaxy in spiral patterns as the sun does the same with a center of attraction possibly the star Alcyone.
Science versus Religion…an age old conflict which has kept us all wondering. I was raised in a moderate, protestant, religious family setting, going to church every Sunday and believing that God created it all and if I didn’t follow his 10 commandments, I would burn in hell…then I went to school. There I was taught science and mathematics, geography and history and learned far more that I ever learned at church, much of which conflicted with each other’s teachings. Religion is based on faith and science is based on facts and mathematical calculations, backed up by proven facts…Who do you believe?…or fear most!…my biggest worry is that they are both right! Oh yah!…excellent documentary…it obviously gets you thinking.