Driven by the huge success of fight promoters such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), mixed martial arts has become one of the fastest growing sports in the world, not to mention one of the most lucrative having seen the UFC itself being recently sold for $4 billion dollars.
Before fighters step into the cage they must make weight for their particular weight class. Here is a list of weight divisions for MMA:
- Strawweight – 115 lb (52.2 kg)
- Flyweight – 125 lb (56.7 kg)
- Bantamweight – 135 lb (61.2 kg)
- Featherweight – 145 lb (65.8 kg)
- Lightweight – 155 lb (70.3 kg)
- Welterweight – 170 lb (77.1 kg)
- Middleweight – 185 lb (83.9 kg)
- Light Heavyweight – 205 lb (93.0 kg)
- Heavyweight – 265 lb (120.2 kg)
Typically fighters will train and walk around at a much heavier weight than the one they must make to compete. This fact requires them to cut any excess weight in order for them to be allowed to fight and much of this cutting is done in the final week before competition.
This film follows a mixed martial artist throughout the entire process and does a great job exploring the dangerous practice of extreme weight loss, a practice which has has claimed the lives of Mixed Martial Arts fighters even before they stepped into the cage. яндекс
1 Comment / User Review
needs subtitles 🙂